An explosion was reported in Davao City, Philippines late Friday night, local time. Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte said in a statement on Facebook that there are “at least 10 people who perished because of the incident and a number were reported wounded.” He also said authorities are working to determine the cause of the explosion.
The explosion at the Davao night market has killed at least 10 people and injured 60, Presidential Spokesman Ernesto Abella said in a statement on Facebook. He also said that “it is best that the populace refrain from reckless speculation and avoid crowded places.”
Reuters reported that Duterte said his father, President Rodrigo Duterte, is safe. The Philippines president was previously mayor of the city, which is also his hometown.
The vice mayor has asked people to return to their homes and the bars to close down.
The Philippine National Police has asked the public to remain vigilant and report suspicious packages or persons, according to Region 11 Director Chief Supt. Manuel Gaerlan.