- A shooting has occurred at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport
- Sources tell NBC Miami that the gunman is in custody after shooting nine – and killing five
- Video from the airport showed hundreds of passengers gathered in a huddle on the tarmac
- The airport said the incident happened in the baggage area of Terminal 2
- Ft.Lauderdale-Hollywood is one of the 25 busiest airports in America
A gunman is in custody after a deadly shooting at the Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport.
Sources tell NBC Miami that nine people have been shot and five people have died.
Video from the airport Friday afternoon showed hundreds of passengers corralled together on the tarmac with emergency vehicles parked outside the terminal with lights flashing.
An airport spokesman said that the center of the incident was in the baggage claim area of Terminal 2.
Former White House press secretary to President George W. Bush, Ari Fleischer, was at the airport at the time and tweeted about the chaos Friday afternoon.
Just after 1pm, he wrote that ‘shots have been fired. Everyone is running’.
Minutes later, he said police told him there was just one shooter. By 1:30pm, the scene had settled.
‘All seems calm now but the police aren’t letting anyone out of the airport – at least not the area where I am,’ Fleischer wrote.
The airport is one of the top 25 busiest airports in the nation.
Via: Daily Mail Online