- The Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport in Florida is in a state of emergency after a shooting Friday afternoon
- Sources tell DailyMail.com that five have been killed and another eight injured
- Shots rang out in the baggage claim area of Terminal 2 around 1pm
- Witnesses described a silent shooter wearing a Star Wars shirt firing at random
- More than an hour later, Terminal 1 was evacuated and officers were seen running into the parking garage with their guns out
- The gunman who opened fire in the baggage claim is in custody and has been identified as Esteban Santiago
- Terrorism is now being considered as a possible motive for the shooting
Via: Daily Mail Online
The suspect in the first shooting was identified as Esteban Santiago, Fla. Sen. Bill Nelson told reporters. He said Santiago was carrying a military ID, but did not elaborate.
Eight people were rushed to hospitals, the Broward County Sheriff said. The city’s mayor said there was only one shooter involved in the first incident.
“It was very surreal,” John Schlicher, a witness, told Fox News. “He did not say a word.” He described the shooter as a slender man with dark hair, likely in his 30s, wearing a Star Wars T-shirt.
“He was shooting people that were down on the ground, too,” Schlicher said.
The gunman apparently got down on the ground and waited for police to arrive after he ran out of bullets, a witness told CBS News.
At 2:30 p.m. local time, the TSA said there was another active shooter at the airport and that all terminals were closed.