- A man armed with a machete was shot five times in the stomach after attempting to storm the museum
- Police source said the attacker was shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ before being gunned down
- Streets around the Louvre have been evacuated and France’s interior ministry branded the incident ‘serious’
- French Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has described the attack as ‘terrorist in nature’
- A second person has been arrested, but it is not known if they were linked to the attack
- The attacker’s identity has not been confirmed but he is known to be an Egyptian national
A terror probe has been launched in Paris after a machete-wielding man was shot while attacking four soldiers outside the Louvre.
The suspect was shot five times in the stomach and is in a critical condition.
He was shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ – Arabic for ‘God is the greatest’ – according to the Paris chief of police, and reportedly had paint bombs in his backpack.
Reuters reported that Egypt’s interior ministry had received confirmation from their embassy in Paris that the suspect was Egyptian.
A source close to the investigation said the suspect was an Egyptian man who arrived in France at the end of last month.
An unconfirmed report by French TV network LCI named the suspect as 29-year-old Abdallah EH, who arrived in France on a flight from Dubai on January 26.
He was not known to security services, said the network.
After being refused entry to the Louvre, he pulled out the weapon and was shot by a soldier, officials have confirmed. A paratrooper is believed to have suffered a minor head injury.
Via: Daily Mail Online