- President Trump and Ivanka Trump met with Aya Hijazi, 30, on Friday morning
- The dual US-Egyptian citizen was acquitted by a Cairo court on Sunday
- She had spent three years in detention in Egypt on human trafficking charges
- President Donald Trump and his aides worked to secure their release
- Trump asked President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi for help in the case earlier in April
- Hijazi arrived back in the US on a military plane late on Thursday
President Trump and Ivanka Trump greeted the American charity worker today they helped free after she was wrongfully locked away in an Egyptian prison for three years.
Aya Hijazi, a dual US-Egyptian citizen, landed on American soil late Thursday night and just hours later she met with her new president and his trusted daughter on Friday morning.
Trump and his aides won the release of the 30-year-old after she was imprisoned in Cairo on what human rights group called bogus human trafficking charges.
The president shook her hand Friday and said, ‘We are very happy to have Aya Hijazi back home, and it’s a great honor to have her in the Oval Office with her brother and thank you very much.’
The release comes after President Trump met with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi at the White House earlier in April and personally asked him to help out.
‘The president directly engaged behind the scenes on her behalf and made it clear to the Egyptian government how important it was to him that this American be released and returned,’ White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer confirmed Friday.
Via: Daily Mail Online